On Friday evening, I joined in the popular pastime, that of playing Bingo. It was arranged as a social evening at my local Health Club. I have played Bingo a couple of times in my life, but not for several years so I was surprised to receive a set of books, each containing five sets of bingo cards on one page. A little unsure as to what I had to do my friend explained the procedure. She had come armed with a special marker pen, which glancing at her during play, certainly made playing much easier. At last the Caller called the usual 'Eyes down and Looking', and we were off. Now I thought I had a good level of concentration, but my oh my, how hard it was to monitor all 5 cards at once, I am sure if I had won, I certainly wouldn't have 'called' in time. First looking for a full line, then two lines, then full house. I didn't come close to winning, but I have to confess I enjoyed the evening, a couple of glasses of wine, and a nice chat to friends, during the periods in between games.
I have thought about the evening since, and looking back, I noted that playing the game, is both good for concentration, and also for taking your mind off other things, becoming totally transfixed on the task in hand, that of marking off each number as they where called. I think that had I played this game, whilst I was working, it would have been great for stress relief. I can understand why millions of people play each week. Certainly you get an adrenalin kick, especially if you are looking for just one number, excitement at the prospect, that you might win a prize, the power to switch off the brain and leave your problems behind, for a short while, and the social benefit of being with other like minded people, all having fun. I certainly will join in the next session when arranged, and this time will definitely go armed with the special bingo players marker pen.
Sounds like you had a good time! I saw a photo in an English newspaper this week, "Up North" it was, and the players were separated by screens, must have needed privacy.
ReplyDeleteIn the early 80's I worked in a Bingo hall, people were fun but at that time they all smoked, it took several showers to get rid of the smell. We raised a lot of money for charity though!
Good Blog
Looks like a good time and more to come, perhaps they will play Bingo
ReplyDeleteand you will win next time. It's good to have a bit of Fun.